Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Singapore People

I am at Lucky Plaza, trying to pass the time away before I go back to my brother's house at Yishun, some kilometers away. If you happen to read my previous blog, it was done in a hurry and the first-hand impressions were based on my observations on the way home from the airport.

I have been in Singapore for two weeks now, and I wish to add first-hand observations of Singapore people.

Singaporeans are mainly descendants of Mandarin-speaking Chinese, unlike the Fookien-speaking Chinese of Taiwan and Philippines. Some Singaporeans have India, British, Dutch, and Malay ancestors, and their origins are betrayed by the color of their skin and manner of dressing. These ethnic groups seem to live in harmony, and I notice them mixing together in buses, trains, swimming pools, malls, and other public places. I do not notice any racial prejudice.

With a few exceptions, Singaporeans are generally hospitable. When you ask them directions to a certain building or street, they go out of their way to show the direction. Filipinos are known for their hospitality, but at home -- not at the streets.

There are no street children, and very few beggars. The last beggar I encountered was wearing a collared shirt, shoes, and backpack. He was asking for coins. I couldn't believe he was a beggar so I shook him off.

Singaporean children are studious and and many of them were eyeglasses at an early age. Singaporean teenagers are generally carefree, and most likely they can be seen wearing their walkman cellphones. Young professionals are generally liberated, perhaps due to Western influence. Many young women wear mini-skirts and spaghetti blouses.

Most Singaporeans speak English as a second language. When I first arrived here, I couldn't understand what the taxi driver was saying -- he kept adding "ah" or "la" as the last word of each sentence. Examples: "You are new here ah.", "Would you like to buy a drink ah?", "One dollar per apple la."

There are many mission and nursing homes. Old people and wayward youths are confined to these places. The state takes care of their necessities. I have visited one which is run by the Missionaries of Charity. A Catholic priest holds mass there every Sunday with the assistance of Filipino choir singers.

When I visited a the Cathedral of Good Shepherd in central Singapore, I've noticed a handful of Filipinos dancing "tinikling" in one corner of church premises. They seem to be a happy lot.

No comments: